Monday 5 September 2011

oppikoppi

The first time I heard about Oppikoppi was in Highschool, and everyone promoted it to be the appefiny of Sodom and Gomora, everyone warned us about it, and said it was just for the druggies and dirty hippies... well, as my father told me on my 21st birthday, "Experience everything, and keep all the good things you experienced." So my first Oppikoppi was in 2009. We went with a broken tent, little food and a lot of alcohol. While I was in aahw with this mysterious place and all the ineresting and unique people I could'nt help to judge the people that warned me a little, because most of then never attended Oppi and they had no foot to stand on... even though there were some really dirty hippies, tripping on some kond of drug, the majority people were just like me. they were there for the music, the festival vibe and to have a good time with their friends...for a oppikoppi virgin I was hooked on the feeling of the youth coming together from all ove rthe country and just spending 4 days as a unit, all singing and dancing to the same songs, I had a sense of freedom and the bosveld fire's inspired me to attend the next year.. Oppikoppie, sexy crooked theeth. 2010. This year was one of my favourites... my 3 best friends were there and every day was filled with funny moments with weard  props and even wearder people. This year I was busy with my btech and I had to do research at Oppi. My most imspiiring ideas was born here. The youth went through a free stage in their fashion sense and the different style combinations would have blown any young designers mind! The 60's was the trend and every free person was embracing it! This year was very different to the others, in the sense that I felt liberated! I felt part of the Oppikoppi family and everything that it stood for. I believe Oppi has a huge impact on the youth and for only a couple of days, different genders, cultures, personalities, ages and  stereo-types come tohether en peace and celebrate the music as one! I salute the organisers of Oppikoppi for achieving what the government has been trying to do for so long! creating peace and unity amongst people in South-Africa!


No comments:

Post a Comment